It’s no hidden fact that the recent COVID-19 pandemic has affected jobs and businesses across the country. Many businesses had to shut shop due to no revenues, many private sector employees have either seen a salary cut or worse – job losses. The uncertainty of job security among private sector employees is at an all-time high.
On the contrary, the government sector has not seen this level of salary cuts and Lay-offs, which is why there is a lot of sudden interest shown by job seekers in exploring and understanding career opportunities in the government sectors. These sector jobs not only give a sense of job security but the employees also enjoy various benefits provided by the government. These sectors give a stable salary and allowances irrespective of recessions. Moreover, majority of these jobs give good pensions and benefits even after retirement.
Some of the best government sectors in India are as below:
- Banking – Banking sector jobs are one of the most sought after by young people across the country. There are a lot of Public Sector banks like State Bank Of India, Indian Bank, Bank Of Baroda, Bank of Maharashtra, Canara Bank, etc. who recruit a big number of graduates every year. One can apply for various grades of designation as per their educational qualifications. The advantage of working with such banks is that there are no extended work hours like private sector banks.
- Railways – The Ministry of Railways operates the national railway system. India has the fourth largest railway network in the world by size. No wonder, the job opportunities in this sector are wide. Right from administration to engineering to station management, there are various departments in which one can make a career. Railway employees enjoy benefits like free traveling in railways, accommodation and excellent pay provided by the government of India.
- Public Sector Undertakings – One of the best options for exploring government sectors is working for PSU’s such as ONGC, GAIL, BHEL, etc. One can join these organizations by giving the various competitive exams that are held every year. Like railways, employees of these PSU’s also enjoy many perks and additional benefits apart from just salary. Also one can maintain a good work-life balance while working for these organizations.
- Lecturer or Professors in Government universities – If u have an instinct for teaching and grooming students, then becoming a professor with a government university is a great option. The salaries are good and the work pressure is comparatively less compared to private colleges. One can apply for these jobs post clearing the UGC NET Exams.
- Civil Services – One of the highest respected jobs in the government domain are those of Indian Police Service (IPS), Indian Administrative Service (IAS), and Indian Foreign Service (IFS). These jobs are also well paid and come with a lot of perks. More importantly, you get a chance to work for your nation and serve society. One can join these civil services by clearing the UPSC exam.